The information stated below should be used as a guideline to minimize injuries associated with playground equipment. However, it is believed that these recommendations, along with the technical information in the ASTM Standards for Public Playgrounds will contribute to greater playground safety.
What is a Public Playground?
A public playground refers to one intended to be used by children ages 6 months through 12 years in commercial child care facilities, institutions, multiple family dwellings, parks, restaurants, resorts and schools.
Information in this Article:
- General playground safety considerations
- Playground materials and surfacing
- Identifying specific playground hazards and how to prevent them
- Proper steps needed to maintain a playground and its’ equipment
- The use of platforms, guardrails and 안전놀이터 protective barriers to minimize accidental falls
There are 7 key factors you should keep in mind when laying out your playground:
- Accessibility: The surface material needs to allow access to the equipment for children with disabilities.
- Age Separation: Areas for different age groups should be separated by a buffer zone. This zone will reduce the chance of injury by children of varying activity levels running into each other.
- Age Group: Different playgrounds are structured for different age groups. The safety requirements differ with each age group. Be mindful of the age group that will be using the playground and purchase accordingly.
- Conflicting Activities: The playground should be organized into sections to prevent injury from overlapping activities. Be sure to place swings and merry-go-rounds toward a corner, side or edge of a play area. Slides should not be placed in a congested area.
- Sight Lines: Visual barriers should be minimized so that caregivers, parents or supervisors can keep track of children using the playground. Benches placed around the outside of the structure allow onlookers a place to sit while they watch the children.
- Signage and/or Labeling: Signs should be provided to give the users guidance as to the age appropriateness of the equipment, as well as how to properly use the equipment.